Translate
Thursday, July 23, 2026
NYC Mayor Mamdani Says He Does Not Have the Authority to Arrest Netanyahu
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani announced that he does not have the authority to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when he arrives in the city to attend the U.N. General Assembly in September. Instead, Mamdani urged federal authorities to enforce an ICC arrest warrant for the Israeli leader. Here’s Mayor Mamdani.
Mayor Zohran Mamdani: “As I’ve said, I agree with the ICC that Benjamin Netanyahu should be arrested and tried for his crimes, as I do for anyone else charged by the ICC. My administration has reviewed every avenue available under applicable law to determine whether New York City could execute the International Criminal Court’s arrest warrant if Benjamin Netanyahu came here. It is clear that we do not have the independent legal authority to enforce this warrant. The federal government, however, does, and I call on them to join the ICC and execute this warrant.”
Mayor Mamdani’s video on X has been viewed more than 80 million times.
www.democracynow.org
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment